[talk-au] Proposed data import. Queensland peaks and mountains

Christopher Barham cbarham at pobox.com
Sun May 4 16:22:34 UTC 2014

Hi Tim,

Thanks for the feedback.  Regarding your comments, when you say you compared the nodes to aerial photos and old maps, do you mean these peak/mountain nodes in the  proposed import? Or, are you mentioning it anecdotally regarding a comparison of other nodes from past data releases?  I ask because these are culled from the newly updated (last month) gazetteer dataset, which I noticed has lots of entries in the comments column describing accuracy improvements.  That was why it seemed to me that the mountains and peaks would be an attractive, manageable subset to import.

Regarding your comment about local government being the custodians for the peak/mountain names, I think this is incorrect, although LGA's are responsible for naming some things: http://www.dnrm.qld.gov.au/mapping-data/place-names/how-places-named/what-can-be-named
Since the Place Names Act of 1994 DNRM and this gazetteer dataset, I thought was considered to actually be the 'ground truth' for names, ( see http://www.dnrm.qld.gov.au/mapping-data/place-names/how-places-named )

On positional accuracy, I agree with you that survey is better; in fact somewhere in the gazetteer they say that names of feature extents are located at an approximate centroid of the feature only.  This was the reasoning behind suggesting only the names seen to be in error would be corrected for pre-existing nodes, the position and any other key/values being left alone.  As mountain names are an unmarked cultural attribute, the government is in charge of them :-) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Committee_for_Geographical_Names_in_Australasia .   I don't see how survey would collect the name, although it could refine the position of the peak.

Have I addressed your concerns? Or are you still against this import?

BTW: What do you mean by a "global input"? This would be a state-local import only.

Cheers,
Chris