[talk-au] Use of mapconnect data in OSM

Andrew Harvey andrew.harvey4 at gmail.com
Mon Apr 6 22:38:41 UTC 2015

On 5 April 2015 at 19:38, Warren <warren at specialtyfeeds.com.au> wrote:
> I was looking for a way to import National Park Boundaries into OSM.  The
> data is there but, lets face it the licensing issues are so complex that I
> do not know if we are allowed.

Indeed. I've been using the CAPAD database [1] for these boundaries
and a script [2] to convert these into the .osm format. The point is
that it can then be loaded as normal OSM data, but into a separate
database, allowing map renderings to be created using both OSM data
plus this augmented data. You might want to compare the CAPAD National
Park data with that from the MapConnect 250K Topographic Data, one
might be more accurate or more up to date than the other. I'm not
sure.

[1] http://www.environment.gov.au/fed/catalog/search/resource/details.page?uuid={4448CACD-9DA8-43D1-A48F-48149FD5FCFD}
[2] https://github.com/andrewharvey/capad2osm

On 6 April 2015 at 10:40, Ross <info at 4x4falcon.com> wrote:
> With the current terms and conditions you need to have permission of the
> work owner to add it to the database.
>
> Something that is licenced CC-BY-SA does not imply permission.
>
> There have been numerous debates on this pre and post licence change in 2012

Is there a reference for this? That CC-BY data (not CC-BY-SA) cannot
be imported into OSM under the current CT+license?