[talk-au] Explicit Permission to use NSW Land and Property Information data

Warin 61sundowner at gmail.com
Sun Dec 6 08:09:17 UTC 2015

On 6/12/2015 6:17 PM, cleary wrote:
> My thoughts in regard to issues raised today and a couple of
> additional thoughts about using NSW LPI data in OSM:
> 1. The requested acknowledgement, as specified by LPI, applies only to
> the information in the "Contributors" page of the wiki, not to the
> tags of each data item.  I think the source tag for each data item
> should be shorter but accurate e.g "NSW Base Map, LPI" or "NSW Points
> of Interest, LPI" etc.

As the data base is restricted to NSW Australia it may be sufficient to
simply state LPI, base map (or Imagery or POI etc) .
> 2. Like one other mapper, I am also a little uncertain about including
> the date, however that is what has been requested and it is a small
> price to pay for access to such rich data. Where a whole dataset is
> imported on a particular date, it clearly makes sense but would seem
> less practical where data is extracted on an ongoing basis. Unless any
> clarification of this is received and since the stated intent of LPI
> was to indicate to users where data may be not the most recent, I
> suggest we use the earliest date on which data is taken from a dataset
> but then add an amended date if, at any time, an update of the entire
> dataset is imported into OSM. For example the current local government
> boundaries are to be extensively re-drawn in the next 6-9 months and
> it would be important to show whether any local government boundaries
> imported from LPI are the soon-to-be-obsolete 2015 version or a
> subsequent version.
> 3. The permission, as written, does not include the "six" mapping
> site, although I note that clicking on the preview page for the NSW
> Base Map takes one to the "six" site.. Our permission is for the
> datasets on
> http://www.lpi.nsw.gov.au/mapping_and_imagery/lpi_web_services/access_lpi_web_services
> The NSW Base Map is one of the datasets offered on this page and,
> although it appears to be basically the same as the "six" map, I think
> we should be careful to refer to the dataset names on webpage
> specified in the permission.

I think the 'six maps' is part of LPI ... certainly the URLs for the web
displayed maps show that. e.g.
http://maps.six.nsw.gov.au/arcgis/rest/services/public/NSW_Imagery/MapServer?f=jsapi

> 4. On the "Contributors" page of the wiki, I have included only the
> NSW Base Map dataset as that is the only one I am using now. However,
> as any of us starts to use data from any of the other datasets (such
> as the NSW Points of Interest dataset), we must be careful to add the
> respective dataset and specified information as a further dot point in
> the relevant part of the "Contributors" page.

The LPI Imagery appears to be more normal to the earths' surface,
possibly taken at a lower altitude too - better resolution. This makes
it better to resolve the footprint of a building. So that too will be
usefull for some.

> 5. Some information in the different datasets is contradictory. For
> example, some of the road names etc in the "NSW Points of Interest"
> database are older obsolete names (different from those shown in the
> NSW Base Map dataset) so we should recognise that even within the LPI
> datasets there may be data that we do not wish to use. This may also
> be good reason that source tags for individual data items include not
> just "LPI NSW" but indicate the particular dataset relied upon.

Reluctantly agreed on the source tags :) . The base map appears to be a
few years old - shows a local private hospital that was knocked down
some years ago and is how some apartments.

> I am interested if anyone has other thoughts on these points.

I note that I'm presently getting time outs through JOSM .. but not by
displaying their data on the web. Possibly a few people loading up their
servers, I'll wait to tomorrow and see what happens after, say, 10 am.