[talk-au] Distinguishing between low-friction and high-friction shared paths

Ian Sergeant inas66+osm at gmail.com
Sun Apr 3 23:25:43 UTC 2016

Well, for NSW at least there are some guidelines for what constitutes
a cycleway..

http://www.rms.nsw.gov.au/business-industry/partners-suppliers/documents/technical-manuals/nswbicyclev12aa_i.pdf

In other states, that permit cycling on footpaths, it also makes sense
to distinguish what is a footpath on which you are permitted to cycle,
from a shared path.

So, its not just a cultural habit.  It's a tagging style that conveys
the nature of the facility.

Thinking of Botany Bay Council in particular, here.  highway=footway,
bicycle=designated, width=.7

Ian.