[talk-au] Use of Gold Coast Council info?

Ralph Aytoun ralph.aytoun at ntlworld.com
Wed Aug 10 10:34:13 UTC 2016

Hi all,

I have to disagree with the idea that you can use this material. It is very explicitly “under copyright” and that copyright is clearly not compatible with Openstreetmap “open” policy.

No CEO of the Council will have the authority to give “permission” to use their data as the CEO cannot overrule the copyright without changing the copyright itself. So the idea that everyone else that is using that data is bound by the copyright, but we are not, defeats the copyright because they will then come to Openstreetmap to use the data as they please.

Then what happens if the next CEO rules that the first CEO was wrong to have released the data and that that data is still under copyright. That compromises Openstreetmap and would require a complex revert of data, some of which may have already been used by third parties not aware of the original copyright on the Council data.

So again it is my opinion that the data is under copyright and is therefore not compatible with Openstreetmap policy.

The best people to ask for advise on this is OSM Legal Working Group legal-questions at osmfoundation.org .