[talk-au] Disused Railway Stations

Warin 61sundowner at gmail.com
Tue Jan 26 09:29:52 UTC 2016

On 26/01/2016 1:38 PM, cleary wrote:
> While undertaking various edits, I have notice multiple railway stations
> with the words "Closed" or "Abandoned" or "Grain Only" as part of the
> names.
>
> I have changed some of these so that those words are removed from the
> names and have added other tags to reflect the closed or abandoned
> status.
>
> For example:
>
> abandoned:railway=station
> name=Mulwala
>
> disused:railway=station
> name=Coorabin
>
> railway=freight_station
> freight_station=grain_only
> name=Oaklands
>
> I have noted that historic:railway=station_site is another possibility.
>
> There seem to be many more disused railway stations that are identified
> as railway=station even though there are no services. Am I correct in
> making the above changes or can someone suggest better ways of tagging
> these places.

name= 'not the name but the function/service'
Technically correct that it should not be done.:-)   But used by many to convey the meaning/feature.. tagging to be rendered.
I don't like it either ... yet I have done it. Once only. I have asked some if name=Netball and derivatives was true... some respond that it is.

historic tag can be combined with other tags. Though some of these have been 'restored' and incorporate cafes etc.

For freight only

http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/OpenRailwayMap/Tagging#Marshalling_Yard.2FClassification_Yard.2FFreight_Yard.2FFreight_Station

suggests

railway=yard  ... for a 'freight station'. Probably not rendered. Taginfo gives just over 500 of these.. 0 for freight_station.

Then I suppose you can add

yard=grain_only