[talk-au] GNAF (address) data re-visited

cleary osm at 97k.com
Fri Jul 1 03:11:34 UTC 2016

After brief discussion on legal-talk, I have sent an email to the
Department of Prime Minister and Cabinet requesting explicit permission
for OSM to use the PSMA Administrative Boundaries and I included
concerns raised within legal-talk.  I have had an informal phone call
which acknowledged receipt of the request. Apparently they are already
considering a request  regarding OSM access to the GNAF (address) data
and legal advice is being obtained  about that too.

In regard to the suggestion that , if we get approval, then there should
be a formal import of whole datasets :  I do not have the skill to do
that and it would require someone else to undertake it. However, it
seems to me that such large scale imports create as many, or perhaps
more, problems that they solve.  A single way can be part of multiple
boundaries - the most I have yet encountered is part of the
NSW/Victorian boundary with a single way forming part of ten separate
relations (State boundary, LGA boundary, locality boundary and national
park boundary on NSW side with six on the Victorian side - the
equivalent  four plus two additional which I think were political
boundaries but I am unsure).  I am not very knowledgeable about this, so
perhaps I am mistaken, but it appears that mass imports would bring
multiple multipolygons all overlaid one on top of the other,  and would
not necessarily create relations for the boundaries. Many layers of
lines along the same co-ordinates creates an editing problem where
modification is required to the way for one of the multipolygons. Manual
imports are slower to achieve but it seems to me that they are better in
the long term. Nevertheless I am happy to accept the view of colleagues
in this list if others also favour formal mass import (and presuming we
get the permission that has been requested).