[talk-au] Legal access to Public land ...

Warin 61sundowner at gmail.com
Wed Jul 6 08:55:54 UTC 2016

On 7/5/2016 9:13 AM, Mark Pulley wrote:
> On 2 Jul 2016, at 3:30 pm, Warin <61sundowner at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On 7/2/2016 9:26 AM, Frank wrote:
>>> OpenStreetMap Wiki page Australian Tagging Guidelines has been
>>> changed on 1 July 2016 by Swanilli to say that the public has a legal right to access public land ...
>>>
>>> No!
>>>
>>> The NSW NPSW do legally exclude the public from certain areas and at least vehicles from certain tracks.
>>>
>>> The NSW, WA, SA and Victorian State Forests legally exclude the public too .. think about the car rallies held from time to time.
>>>
>>> Even 'public roads' get closed to the public from time to time... how else would the Bathurst Road Race be held?????
>>>
>>> I have remove the offending statement from the wiki. I did attempt to contact the user .. but the wiki page has no send a message' type thiny ...  hence this message.
>> Found the contact ... made comments on 2 changesets.
>> Confusion may have arisen over plain English understanding of
>> access=no
>>
>> But the tags are
>> access=no
>> foot=yes
>>
>> meaning you can access by foot but nothing else... in the OSM data base.
>
> I have been using
>
> motor_vehicle=no (or motorcar=no / motorcycle=no)
> foot=yes (or foot=designated)
>
> and depending on other tags
>
> bicycle=no (or bicycle=designated if specifically signposted)
>
> Mark P.

Thanks Mark. That is a good method...

I'd use motor_vehicle as that covers trucks, tractors etc.

On review I think something for the Oz wiki tagging guide lines page http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Australian_Tagging_Guidelines#Access_roads_on_public_land  along the lines of

"Where an access road crosses public land it should not be assumed to have or not have access restrictions. Where a sign says "Authorised vehicles Only" or you know that access is restricted the tag motor_vehicle=private could be used to indicate the access restriction.
Access restrictions for others (walkers, cyclists etc.) should be found on the access wiki page (link to http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:access).
To help other mappers recognise the validity of the access restriction a sourec tag can be used e.g. source:access_motor_vehicle=sign on eastern end of road"