[talk-au] GNAF (address) data re-visited

Andrew Harvey andrew.harvey4 at gmail.com
Mon Jun 27 12:16:56 UTC 2016

On 26 June 2016 at 10:11, cleary <osm at 97k.com> wrote:

> Thanks to Simon and Andrew for your responses which I now understand.  Can I
> now follow-on and request clarification about other data from data.gov.au -
> for example the sources listed in the wiki for Queensland Local Government
> Areas and QLD Suburb/Locality Boundaries which are CC-BY-4.0 but do not have
> restrictions such as the mailout condition in GNAF address data.  Is it safe
> for me to add data from these Queensland administrative boundary data
> sources?
>
> I'm sorry to be a nuisance about the legality of our sources but I struggle
> with some of the nuances and I don't want to create problems that need to be
> sorted out at a later date.

Are you refering to the PSMA Admin Boundaries Data?
https://data.gov.au/dataset/psma-administrative-boundaries

Referring to http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Import/ODbL_Compatibility

CC-BY-4.0 isn't compatible with the requirements for including data
into OSM as it stands, but if the rights holder(s) explicitly states
in writing that credit on the Contributors page is sufficient to
fulfill attribution requirements including downstream use in works
derived from OSM, then it can be included. Honestly I'm not sure if
this is covered by
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Attribution/data.gov.au_explicit_permission,
and I'm not sure if the "Users must only use the data in ways that are
consistent with the Australian Privacy Principles issued under the
Privacy Act 1988 (Cth).", the latter did come up when including in
GNAF in OpenAddresses.io I think.  Maybe best to ask on the legal-talk
list?