[talk-au] Fwd: Deserts, mapping and sources

Graeme Fitzpatrick graemefitz1 at gmail.com
Wed Jan 17 06:35:47 UTC 2018

From: Graeme Fitzpatrick <graemefitz1 at gmail.com>
Date: 17 January 2018 at 16:10
Subject: Re: [talk-au] Deserts, mapping and sources
To: Warin <61sundowner at gmail.com>

>>> Deserts are a climatic concept:
>>
> A wetland too has a fuzzy boundary, much like a desert.
>

>> What you should map is what you can see on the ground. So the Simpson
>> Desert should be natural=sand, which is what you can see in the aerial
>> imagery.
>>

> What is on the round in the Simpson Desert varies widely, but in general;
> In the swales between the sand dunes most of the time there is light scrub
> ... some times you find salt lakes (e.g. just west of Poepells Corner for
> instance).
> On the wester slope of the sand dunes you find some scattered scrub.
> On the eastern side of the sand dunes you find the occasional plant
> fighting the sand drifting over it.
> I'd be removing mapping of  entire desert areas as sand or any other
> single land cover just based on the assumption that because it is a desert
> it must be covered by x.
>
> When Warin brought this up earlier I zoomed it on the marked "Simpson
Desert" & switched to edit to see what it looked like (Just tried again but
not now working for some reason?)

There's a line drawn across the landscape that says "Desert" on one side of
it, but, to my uneducated eyes, there's absolutely no difference between
the scrub on one side of the line & the other?!

& when you travel round the aerial image of that area, this part is rock,
this looks like bare sand, quite a bit of low scrub, creek / river beds etc

Attempting to map each type of ground cover individually would be virtually
impossible :-(