[talk-au] Deserts, mapping and sources

Andrew Davidson theswavu at gmail.com
Fri Jan 19 09:01:18 UTC 2018

If you want to map the desert areas of Australia you don't need a
source. I've got Australian rainfall data on a 5km grid and I could
generate a polygon around the areas that get less than 250mm a year. I'd
be happy to release it under CC0.

If you want a more sophisticated definition of desert I know the guys
who made this:

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:K%C3%B6ppen_climate_classification_maps_of_Australia#/media/File:Australia-Oceania_Koppen_Map.png

and I think they'd be happy to give us permission to use the data in OSM.