[talk-au] Mapping Indigenous Place Names

David Dean ddean at ieee.org
Fri Jan 26 12:09:45 UTC 2018

Hi everyone,

I've done a little research, and added the following section to the
Australian Tagging Guidelines at
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Australian_Tagging_Guidelines#Places,
and the Multilingual names page at
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Multilingual_names:

Please use the name:aus (aus is the general ISO639-2 code for Australian
Aboriginal Languages) to indicate the indigenous names of places. It would
be useful to do this even when the generally used name is indigenous, to
allow for a potential indigenous rendering of our maps.

I hope we can all agree that this is an excellent idea, and starting adding
these everywhere we can. Here's my first go:
https://www.openstreetmap.org/changeset/55769062.

So far we currently have about 4 name:aus tags in the whole country (see
https://overpass-turbo.eu/s/voW). We can do better that that!

- David

--
http://dbdean.com