[talk-au] Road name abbreviation exception?

Adrian Hobbs adrian.hobbs at grapevine.com.au
Sat Jun 30 01:06:19 UTC 2018

Maybe I am missing something here, but to my mind road and place naming
is pretty clear cut. See:-

"Guidelines for the determination of place names" a fact sheet by the
Geographic Names Board of NSW
http://www.gnb.nsw.gov.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0010/58843/Guidelines_determination_placenames_2017.pdf

and

"6.7 Principles of Road naming" page 97 of the NSW Addressing User Manual
http://www.gnb.nsw.gov.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0007/199411/2018_NSW_Addressing_User_Manual.pdf

Although these relate to NSW, I imagine there are similar arrangements
in all states and territories.

If OSM uses anything different it will only cause difficulties. I guess
that, as with all standards, there will be exceptions.
But OSM should then go with whatever the legal name is.

Cheers
Adrian Hobbs

tel: 0427 310 938
email: adrian.hobbs at grapevine.com.au