[talk-au] Sidewalk vs Footpath?

Jonathon Rossi jono at jonorossi.com
Thu Sep 20 15:32:54 UTC 2018

> In iD for me at least, paths next to roads are called "Pavement". I
> agree with this terminology the most and think it was a mistake for OSM
> to adapt the footway=sidewalk tag.
>

>From my experience "pavement" in the road transport industry commonly
refers to the road pavement or road surface, however more broadly the term
pavement is any hard surface for any form of traffic.

Personally I refer to the path next to the road designed for
> pedestrians as the footpath, assuming sidewalk is an american term not
> really used in Australian English.
>
> So I had set the translation of "sidewalk" in the iD editor for
> Australian English to Footpath, however it seems this is causing
> confusion and leading to people inadvertently tagging paths not going
> along side the road as a sidewalk.
>
> At the moment iD has two presets "Foot path" (highway=footway) and
> "Footpath" (highway=footway, footway=sidewalk).
>
> I see now that's just confusing, so I think we should just change this
> back to sidewalk as it's probably understood by most Australians and
> it's clearer about the distinction between highway=footway and
> highway=footway, footway=sidewalk.
>
> Anyone have any thoughts?

I agree that us Aussies call both footpaths, iD has always displayed that
template as "Sidewalk" for me so must be using en-us, and I agree that it
makes sense to differentiate it from the standard "Foot Path" even though
Aussie's don't have a different word for them.