[talk-au] Sidewalk vs Footpath?

Graeme Fitzpatrick graemefitz1 at gmail.com
Thu Sep 20 21:44:48 UTC 2018

On Thu, 20 Sep 2018 at 20:59, Andrew Harvey <andrew.harvey4 at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Personally I refer to the path next to the road designed for
> pedestrians as the footpath, assuming sidewalk is an american term not
> really used in Australian English.

I agree entirely!

> At the moment iD has two presets "Foot path" (highway=footway) and
> "Footpath" (highway=footway, footway=sidewalk).

My iD also shows both, with the further info descriptions as Foot path:

For designated footpaths, i.e. mainly/exclusively for pedestrians. & which
then links to highway=footway page

while Footpath:

Sidewalks as separate ways links to footway=sidewalk!

I see now that's just confusing,

Confused? Now why would anyone be confused by that? :-)

Thanks

Graeme