[talk-au] Sidewalk vs Footpath?

iansteer at iinet.net.au iansteer at iinet.net.au
Thu Sep 20 23:19:55 UTC 2018

As much as it irks me to have Americanisms creep into our language (and it irks me a great deal!), I agree with you - sidewalk is more definitive.

Message: 1
Date: Thu, 20 Sep 2018 20:57:05 +1000
From: Andrew Harvey <andrew.harvey4 at gmail.com>
To: OSM Australian Talk List <talk-au at openstreetmap.org>
Subject: [talk-au] Sidewalk vs Footpath?

Personally I refer to the path next to the road designed for pedestrians as the footpath, assuming sidewalk is an american term not really used in Australian English.

So I had set the translation of "sidewalk" in the iD editor for Australian English to Footpath, however it seems this is causing confusion and leading to people inadvertently tagging paths not going along side the road as a sidewalk.

At the moment iD has two presets "Foot path" (highway=footway) and "Footpath" (highway=footway, footway=sidewalk).

I see now that's just confusing, so I think we should just change this back to sidewalk as it's probably understood by most Australians and it's clearer about the distinction between highway=footway and highway=footway, footway=sidewalk.

Anyone have any thoughts?