[talk-au] Large contribution to update OSM rural / offroad tracks in Australia

Sebastian Spiess mapping at consebt.de
Wed Apr 3 12:06:36 UTC 2019

Hi James,
first welcome to OSM and great that you reach out on the list.

There are many ways you could 'get the data into' OSM, however if you
rely on the help of others I doubt that they are willing to contribute
under your account.

I suggest you read and watch the FOSDEM talk
(https://fosdem.org/2019/schedule/event/geo_gpxtraces/) from Zverik from
Juno. Juno has also large amounts of GPS tracks that they use to
generate a heat map. This helps them to de-anonymize the data. This heat
map can then be added as a tiled layer in JOSM.

The tiled layer can then be used by others to edit in OSM.
Link: https://www.openstreetmap.org/user/Zverik/diary/47986

If you want to speed up or generate interest in the task of drawing
tracks from your records you can also look into creating a task on
https://maproulette.org/

So one idea could be A) clean up gps tracks, B) create a heat map, C)
publish as tile server D) task on maproulet to trace/map the tracks.

Contributors that help you trace your tracks could use the Source tag to
indicate your company as provider of the data.

You would need to formally publish the information with a suitable
licence though.

Just a few thoughts.

Cheers,
Sebastian