[talk-au] POI - address details

Graeme Fitzpatrick graemefitz1 at gmail.com
Tue Apr 16 01:52:08 UTC 2019

On Mon, 15 Apr 2019 at 23:01, Sebastian Spiess <mapping at consebt.de> wrote:

> Hi list,
>
> this question originates from the discussion about the NSW address
> import, see here:
> https://gitlab.com/dionmoult/osm-nsw-address-import/issues/7
>
> My view is that addresses are more than just the Street name and house
> number (plus Unit number).
>
> When I put POIs on the map I also add City, postcode and state - the
> full address.
>
> I understand that this information might be redundant as the city or
> suburb boundary is 'passing' it down, however to me the address is
> incomplete for the POI.
>
> When using data consumers they do not necessary pass down the city to
> the POI and it will be missing in their listing, e.g. when searching.
>
> What are the views here?

Repeating a comment made on that Gitlab discussion

"My understanding is that we don't need to include this data, because it is
possible to automatically infer the city and state from the boundaries,
which are already in OSM.

For instance, here is a link to what happens
<https://www.openstreetmap.org/search?query=44-60%20Menangle%20Street%2C%20Picton#map=19/-34.16984/150.61256>
when I use the OSM <https://openstreetmap.org> website to search for 44-60
Menangle Street, Picton.
Note the result from Nominatim includes the council area, the state, the
postcode and the country. But if you click on it, you will find that the
way only includes the addr:housenumber, addr:street and building tags."

I've just tried it for a few addresses in my area eg 4 Pipit Parade
Burleigh Waters to get "No results found"
https://www.openstreetmap.org/search?query=4%20Pipit%20Parade%20Burleigh%20Waters#map=15/-28.0748/153.4368

but a search as just 4 Pipit Parade returns
https://www.openstreetmap.org/search?query=4%20Pipit%20Parade#map=19/-28.07430/153.42918,
including "suburb" (but it's actually not), city, state, postcode, country;
& when you click on that reference, you get
https://www.openstreetmap.org/node/4305436990, which shows the suburb
correctly as Burleigh Waters, not Miami - & I created that address, so I
know how it was loaded! :-)

AFAIK, there are no suburb boundaries yet loaded for the Gold Coast area,
so it would appear ? that the system is possibly selecting the physically
closest shown suburb name as the suburb, rather than the actual suburb that
has been loaded as part of the address?

Does that sound feasible?

If so, it's wrong, so how do we correct it?

Incidentally, OSMand correctly finds 4 Pipit Parade, Burleigh Waters, but
will also find it if you search via Miami, but then displays it as Burleigh
Waters.

Thanks

Graeme