[talk-au] Importing Hobsons Bay City Council tree data into OSM

Andrew Harvey andrew.harvey4 at gmail.com
Tue Apr 16 03:37:03 UTC 2019

On Tue, 16 Apr 2019 at 11:24, cleary <osm at 97k.com> wrote:

> I have great respect for Andrew Harvey's mapping and I would generally
> defer to his views. However in this instance, I would say that I have found
> it generally useful if the source of information is included with
> individual items, whether trees, roads, waterways, buildings etc to assist
> any future edits. In the past, the lack of any source has sometimes caused
> me to think that the contributor has used a non-approved source for the
> information.  Further, if I am re-visiting an area of the map and have
> contradictory information, knowing the source of the original information
> may help to explain why I have now perceived a discrepancy and assists in
> determining whether or not modification might be necessary.  Sometimes it
> is possible to retrace and identify information from the original changeset
> but if multiple changes have been made, I find it difficult to trace back
> to the original .

I have no issue with adding the source tag, if people want it. Certainly
there are advantages to including it.

http://osmlab.github.io/osm-deep-history can help tracing back an object's
history to see sources for each version and how the tags evolved. I would
still do this even with a source tag, since many times things would be
changed but the old source still left in tact even though it's no longer
valid.

It more stemmed from my experience with the NSW public schools import,
there were about 6 tags imported many onto existing objects in OSM with a
couple of tags already, in that case adding a single source would be wrong
since there were multiple sources at play, and adding the "source:" prefix
for each tag would have been too much.