[talk-au] Use of AIS message as input to OSM

Alex (Maxious) Sadleir maxious at gmail.com
Thu Jan 3 07:42:43 UTC 2019

Having a look at the mapping guidelines I did find Beacons
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Seamarks/Beacons can have Radio
Stations https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Seamarks/Radio_Stations
including seamark:radio_station:category=ais "An AIS radiobeacon on a
seamark that reports its own position" and a lot of other AIS radio station
types including some that aren't really a buoy there - virtual! (
http://www.professionalmariner.com/August-2014/synthetic-aids-virtual-buoys/
)

I can find some seamarks but not radio stations in NSW
https://overpass-turbo.eu/s/EVh
http://map.openseamap.org/?zoom=16&lat=-33.87089&lon=151.18538&mlat=-33.87079&mlon=151.18459&layers=BFTFFFFFFTF0FFFFFFFFFF
But I did find a red buoy near Macau that is AIS enabled
https://www.openstreetmap.org/node/5793357137
http://map.openseamap.org/?zoom=16&lat=22.11957&lon=113.61184&layers=BFTFFFFFFTF0FFFFFFFFFF

So I assume one must do some seaside mapping using some kind of radio like
an SDR to get the position data?
https://www.rtl-sdr.com/rtl-sdr-tutorial-cheap-ais-ship-tracking/