[talk-au] NSW bus routes from opendata.transport.nsw.gov.au

Andrew Harvey andrew.harvey4 at gmail.com
Fri Jan 4 02:17:28 UTC 2019

On Fri, 4 Jan 2019 at 09:33, Warin <61sundowner at gmail.com> wrote:
> I was checking the use by another mapper of some Qld govt data for
> copyright when I noticed OSM has permission to use Static timetables, stop locations, and route shape information in
> "General Transit Feed Specification" from https://opendata.transport.nsw.gov.au/dataset/timetables-complete-gtfs
> as stated in https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Australian_data_catalogue.

That's not true. You'll see we have the SA Adelaide Metro GTFS through
the SA government CC BY waiver,

QLD's Translink, NSW's TfNSW, ACT's ACTION I sent waiver's but haven't
received them back completed yet.

In the case of QLD there was an explicit permission, from before the
waiver's and TMR is already providing the waiver for the state road
centerlines, so would probably be open to the their GTFS as well, but
we don't have it.

In NSW TfNSW are very OpenStreetMap friendly with their trip planner
https://transportnsw.info using OpenStreetMap for routing and maps,
and although we don't have the waiver yet, I'm still expecting it will
be provided.

Stepping back, there are a lot of bus routes in NSW and they do change
over time, it would be a huge effort to map them all out, keep them up
to date, current and maintained (they break sometimes when people edit
the road network). Given the GTFS data is already open, is it worth
that effort?