[talk-au] NSW bus routes from opendata.transport.nsw.gov.au

Warin 61sundowner at gmail.com
Fri Jan 4 02:58:19 UTC 2019

On 04/01/19 13:17, Andrew Harvey wrote:

> On Fri, 4 Jan 2019 at 09:33, Warin <61sundowner at gmail.com> wrote:
>> I was checking the use by another mapper of some Qld govt data for
>> copyright when I noticed OSM has permission to use Static timetables, stop locations, and route shape information in
>> "General Transit Feed Specification" from https://opendata.transport.nsw.gov.au/dataset/timetables-complete-gtfs
>> as stated in https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Australian_data_catalogue.
> That's not true. You'll see we have the SA Adelaide Metro GTFS through
> the SA government CC BY waiver,
>
> QLD's Translink, NSW's TfNSW, ACT's ACTION I sent waiver's but haven't
> received them back completed yet.

Arr it does say "sent' .. that did not go through to the brain as 'sent to them' but could be interpreted as 'sent by them'.
Glad I asked. Better wording? "OSM has applied for" .. and I think you'll need a year :(

> Stepping back, there are a lot of bus routes in NSW and they do change
> over time, it would be a huge effort to map them all out, keep them up
> to date, current and maintained (they break sometimes when people edit
> the road network). Given the GTFS data is already open, is it worth
> that effort?

Without them being in OSM they won't appear in things like OSMAnd ..

Things like admin boundaries break when people edit roads too ... people seem to think they are worth the effort.
With the format being GTFS it should be fairly easy to update .. provided OSM retains access.