[talk-au] Local Chapter

Andrew Harvey andrew.harvey4 at gmail.com
Sat Jun 15 12:51:50 UTC 2019

On Sun, 2 Jun 2019 at 13:31, Graeme Fitzpatrick <graemefitz1 at gmail.com>
wrote:

> But I personally agree that we need to reach out and canvass any local
>> communities that may exist, for their thoughts. We do have some reach via
>> existing OSGeo community, mailing lists, travel grant program, and other
>> networks.
>>
>> After putting in our best effort, if there are countries where there is
>> no feedback, are we in a position to form a regional chapter including
>> those countries, under the assumption that we aren't stepping on any toes?
>>

> I would think we'd be OK, as long as we can show that we've made the
> effort?
>
> & if, some years down the track, "Palau" (picking a name at random) wanted
> to form it's own chapter, I would think we would then offer them every
> assistance possible :-)

In an effort to try to outreach existing OSM community members in Oceania,
I've taken a look at recent contributors to Oceania countries at
http://osmstats.neis-one.org/?item=countries, although it only shows
activity from the last two months, most of the top contributors are likely
just on holidays or remote mapping, so it's proving hard to identify any
locals who are already in the community.

I did send a message to a few from New Caledonia, so I'll see if I heard
back.