[talk-au] tagging old railway stations - what is the agreed approach

Ewen Hill ewen.hill at gmail.com
Sat Oct 19 09:44:08 UTC 2019

Thanks Warin,
   I have been using a node or polygon for the railway station as follows
however it is raising a level 2 error in osmose...

name=xxx
historic:railway = station (or station_site)

If the building can be traced, I would also add a polygon
building=train_station

There appears to be a lot of confusion (see
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Railway_stations#Stations_and_sites_which_are_not_currently_in_operation
)
over

   - historic:railway=station
   - railway:historic=station
   - disused=yes
   - not tagging it at all with any railway tags

I want to keep the information from appearing in current travel options but
available to explain how the township formed around a particular location

Ewen

On Sat, 19 Oct 2019 at 19:33, Warin <61sundowner at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 19/10/19 17:53, Ewen Hill wrote:
> >
> > Hi,
> >    I am trying to get some clarity about tagging old railway stations
> > like
> >
> https://i1.wp.com/judithsalecich.com/wp/wp-content/uploads/2019/02/The-former-Bogantungan-Railway-Station.jpg?ssl=1 that
>
> > has not seen a train stop for a numbe of decades
> >

> > There appears to be a myriads of ways to tag this according to the
> > Wiki. What is the best standardised approach (which I will add to the
> ATG)
>

> The building is still a building...map as a way with
> building=train_station as it is recognisable as a train station?
>
> It does appear to be now a museum... I'd map that as a separate node
> with the relevant details.
>

> It was a train station or halt.. Could be be one again? This should be
> an area that includes the building and local track.
>
> disused:railway=halt/station or disused:public_transport=station
>
> or abandoned:*=*
>
> If no longer in existence then consider mapping it in OHM.
>
> Nothing Oz specific about it?

Warm Regards

Ewen Hill
Internet Development Australia