[talk-au] Uluru naming consistency

Joachim noreply at freedom-x.de
Mon Oct 28 18:39:04 UTC 2019

Hello Aussies,

the closing of the Uluru Climb gathered international news. So I had a
look at Uluru and saw some naming inconsistencies which might be
improved. I found no prior discussion about it and the features in OSM
have stable naming since 2015, so this seems to be a topic worth a
look.

OSM has two features (notice the underlined r on some names which is
native Pitjantjatjara):
a) The peak (https://www.openstreetmap.org/node/2251425855)
name = Uluṟu
name:en = Uluru (Ayers Rock)
name:pjt = Uluṟu
alt_name = Uluru

b) The "bare_rock" (https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/32639987/)
name = Uluṟu (Ayers Rock)
name:en = Uluru (Ayers Rock)
name:pjt= Uluṟu

Two issues:
1. Name is inconsistent between the two
2. The Ayers Rock in parenthesis looks more like description than a name

For the following proposals I added the English and Pitjantjatjara
explicitly because Uluru has some translated names.
My preferred proposal for both features:
name = Uluṟu
name:en = Uluru
name:pjt = Uluṟu
alt_name = Ayers Rock
alt_name:en = Ayers Rock
official_name =  Uluru / Ayers Rock
official_name:en =  Uluru / Ayers Rock

Alternative proposal for both:
name = Uluru / Ayers Rock
name:en = Uluru / Ayers Rock
name:pjt = Uluṟu
alt_name = Uluṟu
alt_name:pjt = Uluṟu
alt_name:en = Uluru
old_name = Ayers Rock
old_name:en = Ayers Rock

Some points to consider:
Uluru seems to be generally seen as the preferred name nowadays in
Australia. I played a bit with Google Trends to see the extent
(https://trends.google.de/trends/explore?date=all&geo=AU&q=ayers%20rock,uluru)
The official name is the dual name Uluru / Ayers Rock
(http://www.ntlis.nt.gov.au/placenames/view.jsp?id=10532)
The park is co-operated by Anangu and the Australian Government and
names it Uluru exclusively
(https://parksaustralia.gov.au/uluru/about/ayers-rock-or-uluru/)

Best regards Joachim/Jojo4u from Germany