[talk-au] Uluru naming consistency

Andrew Harvey andrew.harvey4 at gmail.com
Mon Oct 28 22:53:55 UTC 2019

Thanks for consulting the list for feedback before making the change, such
a big change like this should be discussed first.

On Tue, 29 Oct 2019 at 05:40, Joachim <noreply at freedom-x.de> wrote:

> For the following proposals I added the English and Pitjantjatjara
> explicitly because Uluru has some translated names.
> My preferred proposal for both features:
> name = Uluṟu
> name:en = Uluru
> name:pjt = Uluṟu
> alt_name = Ayers Rock
> alt_name:en = Ayers Rock
> official_name =  Uluru / Ayers Rock
> official_name:en =  Uluru / Ayers Rock

+1

I'm also okay with either alt_name or old_name for "Ayers Rock", with a
slight preference to "old_name".

> Uluru seems to be generally seen as the preferred name nowadays in
> Australia. I played a bit with Google Trends to see the extent
> (
> https://trends.google.de/trends/explore?date=all&geo=AU&q=ayers%20rock,uluru
> )
> The official name is the dual name Uluru / Ayers Rock
> (http://www.ntlis.nt.gov.au/placenames/view.jsp?id=10532)
> The park is co-operated by Anangu and the Australian Government and
> names it Uluru exclusively
> (https://parksaustralia.gov.au/uluru/about/ayers-rock-or-uluru/)

I agree.

On Tue, 29 Oct 2019 at 09:14, Graeme Fitzpatrick <graemefitz1 at gmail.com>
wrote:

> So, with such a mish-mash of underlined & non- names, my own preference
> would be:
>
> name = Uluru / Ayers Rock
> name:en = Uluru / Ayers Rock
> name:pjt = Uluṟu
> old_name = Ayers Rock
> old_name:en = Ayers Rock
>
> if we need to specify name:en, if not, simply
>
> name = Uluru / Ayers Rock
> name:pjt = Uluṟu
> old_name = Ayers Rock

I'd prefer Joachim's proposal, I relegating Ayers Rock to as part of the
official_name and either the old_name or alt_name. I believe most of the
signage within the park uses the exclusive term "Uluru".