[talk-au] QTOPO online maps

Andrew Harvey andrew.harvey4 at gmail.com
Sun Sep 15 11:02:35 UTC 2019

On Sun, 15 Sep 2019 at 18:05, Mateusz Konieczny <matkoniecz at tutanota.com>
wrote:

> See https://blog.openstreetmap.org/2017/03/17/use-of-cc-by-data/
>
> CC BY 4.0 requires waiver
>
> The additional text is confirmation that it is
> actually released under this licence
> and that personal confirmation is not required.

Exactly.

I reached out to Greg Payne, Director of Land and Spatial Information,
Topographic Data, Imagery and Mapping, DNRM in December 2018 (in case
anything had changed since my prior correspondence), the reply was:

 The Department’s position has not changed since your previous enquiry.

> Consistent with Queensland Government policy, our data is provided under a
> CC:BY 4.0 Licence.  The department will not provide the data under an ODbl
> licence.  It is our belief that a CC:BY licence is sufficient for use of
> our data and we do not accept that OpenStreetMap cannot use our data under
> the CC:BY licence.

So unfortunately we're in a stalemate, OSMF says we need a waiver, DNRME
says they don't believe we need one. So we can't currently use DNRME's CC
BY 4.0 open data within OpenStreetMap unless either OSMF or DNRME change
their stance.

I'm not taking a stab at DNRME over this, they are free to no agree to the
waiver, it's their call.