[talk-au] QTOPO online maps

Graeme Fitzpatrick graemefitz1 at gmail.com
Sun Sep 15 21:34:03 UTC 2019

On Sun, 15 Sep 2019 at 21:02, Andrew Harvey <andrew.harvey4 at gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Sun, 15 Sep 2019 at 18:05, Mateusz Konieczny <matkoniecz at tutanota.com>
> wrote:
>
>> See https://blog.openstreetmap.org/2017/03/17/use-of-cc-by-data/
>>
>> CC BY 4.0 requires waiver
>>
>> The additional text is confirmation that it is
>> actually released under this licence
>> and that personal confirmation is not required.
>>

> Exactly.
>
> I reached out to Greg Payne, Director of Land and Spatial Information,
> Topographic Data, Imagery and Mapping, DNRM in December 2018 (in case
> anything had changed since my prior correspondence), the reply was:
>
>  The Department’s position has not changed since your previous enquiry.
>>
>> Consistent with Queensland Government policy, our data is provided under
>> a CC:BY 4.0 Licence.  The department will not provide the data under an
>> ODbl licence.  It is our belief that a CC:BY licence is sufficient for use
>> of our data and we do not accept that OpenStreetMap cannot use our data
>> under the CC:BY licence.
>

> So unfortunately we're in a stalemate, OSMF says we need a waiver, DNRME
> says they don't believe we need one. So we can't currently use DNRME's CC
> BY 4.0 open data within OpenStreetMap unless either OSMF or DNRME change
> their stance.
>
> I'm not taking a stab at DNRME over this, they are free to no agree to the
> waiver, it's their call.

Thanks both of you.

Exactly the same position with my on-going discussions with Gold Coast City
Council - they've given us explicit permission to use their data, but can't
get their head around our need for a waiver as well?

" unless ... OSMF ... change their stance" - any chance / likelihood of
that happening?

Thanks

Graeme