[talk-au] topic A: the platform itself

Edoardo Neerhut ed at mapillary.com
Fri Sep 20 07:25:18 UTC 2019

Thanks for bringing this up Herbert.

*Similar sentiments*
This has actually been bothering me the last few weeks as I started to
realise how much of my day is spent reading through talklists that do not
have relevance to me or that I do not have time to respond to. For those of
us subscribed to multiple talklists, it becomes a very time consuming and
inefficient communication method.

The problem is that you need to read every single one in case you miss
something relevant. There are lot of good conversations taking place and I
wish I had time to engage more, but I need to be selective.

*The platform*
I like the idea of a forum which can be categorised and allow the viewer to
make quicker decisions about which topics that would like to engage with.
Whether that is the OpenStreetMap forum or something else doesn't bother
me. Although the OpenStreetMap forum would make sense so that people can
find it easily.

Slack is very convenient, but it is not good for important discussions
because the messages get archived unless you sign up to a cost prohibitive
plan which our community would not be able to afford.

*Setting a standard*
I am not sure any of this can be dictated, but it is a good discussion to
have and I would be interested to see how the rest of the community feels.
Of course asking here is inherently going to target those already using the
talklists, so I will bring this up in other places as well.

Overall I support the interest to discuss this on a more efficient,
intuitive platform.