[talk-au] presenting #NorthernBeachesSolar pet project

Daniel O'Connor daniel.oconnor at gmail.com
Fri Jan 3 03:26:08 UTC 2020

Nice work.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CZf3SJ1V-iQ and  https://openclimatefix.org/
may be also of interest.

One of the pet ideas for this data I had was generating a number of
overpass queries looking for big commercial real estate without solar
deployed; to form the basis of advocacy campaigns.

For example; Wesfarmers has a program to deploy solar to the majority of
its Bunnings warehouses:
https://sustainability.wesfarmers.com.au/our-stories/bunnings/bunnings-continues-its-solar-rollout/

Or a number of large shopping centres are rolling out solar carparks.

This kinds of efforts have a very direct energy efficiency payoff; so
potentially a persuasive letter becomes that final tipping point from
"Maybe we should" to "everyone else is doing it".

Similar things could be done for council, federal real estate.