[talk-au] parking and bike lane

Ian Sergeant inas66+osm at gmail.com
Fri Jan 10 03:22:46 UTC 2020

Generally yes.

There are a few different treatments.  The two main ones are where the
straight through cycle traffic remains to the left of a separated barrier.

Best example I can think of is at Ian Parade near concord.

https://www.mapillary.com/map/im/PR6ShOVEl-hNO91xjsDwLQ

And there is also the fully separated off-ramp on-ramp style treatment.
There are also a few of those around Concord.  And also going through the
large roundabouts at North Nowra.  And other places.

As for cycle-lanes actually going through roundabouts.  Well, the classic
example would be on Darling Drive.  There used to be two where the
cycle-lanes went straight through, and there is one remaining.  It's a
terrible piece of infrastructure though.  There are some others around the
place.  If they don't cross exists they can be okay - but the ones crossing
exits are dangerous.

https://goo.gl/maps/r3LG7XajfvbEBRBQA

As much as we'd all like to have OSM to be our representation of how
cycle-friendly a road is, OSM in Sydney is already suffering a fair bit
from people entering their own interpretation of what is cycle
infrastructure.  So, I really think the best thing is to map it as it is.
But appreciate the motivation to try and let others know about the
continuity of a cycle route.

Thanks,
Ian.