[talk-au] Audible fences

Warin 61sundowner at gmail.com
Tue Aug 3 10:56:55 UTC 2021

On 1/8/21 7:09 pm, Bob Cameron wrote:
> Hi Warin
>
> Stock or pest control barriers that are somewhat replacing (and
> sometimes doubling up on) road cattle grids.
>
> The ones I have mapped commonly comprise a fence line very close to
> (both sides of) the road edge of maybe 5-10m length and parallel, then
> two audible sonalert boxes (often with a solar panel/supply) at one
> end, or middle off the close in fence. The boxes are usually mounted
> on poles less than a metre high but I have seen some attached to the
> fence hardware.

I'd map the fence, if it exists, separately. One physical object = one
OSM entry... Of course like many things the mapper may cose to simply
not map that but map the audio thing.

> Some confining fence lines I have seen are angled rather than parallel.
>
> Any stock or pest that wants to wander through gets channelled onto
> the narrower road between the fences then blasted with sound when it
> gets within maybe 5 metres. Vehicles also set off the alarms from
> perhaps 20-30m away. Some (less than 10%?) of the barriers have sound
> warning signs.
>
> In terms of a driving hazard there is the quite loud high frequency
> sound and no road shoulder at the barrier.
>
> Since they are becoming more and more common I'd like to see the
> consensus placed in the Aus taglines wiki

Agreed!

barrier=audio or some such as a node.

Easiest to map as a node on the road. More work to map as a node at the
location of each device. which would be to the side of the road and not
on it.

barrier:for=animal would make it clear to non ozie mappers.

Extra fluff with other tags like frequency=*, brand=* etc etc.

I wonder how cattle on cattle trucks handle it? Could leave a lot of
effluent on the departure sides.