[talk-au] highway=service

Graeme Fitzpatrick graemefitz1 at gmail.com
Sun Aug 15 01:35:29 UTC 2021

On Sun, 15 Aug 2021 at 10:35, Tom Brennan <website at ozultimate.com> wrote:

> The parking aisle page on the wiki:
> https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:service%3Dparking_aisle
> states one of the exclusions as:
> "Forms the "trunk" or perimeter of the parking lot, connecting multiple
> parking aisles – use highway=service without service=* instead. There
> may be parking spaces on either side, but the roadway's primary purpose
> is to get drivers to another part of the parking lot."

I'd disagree with the wiki there, & say that the perimeter road should be
service=driveway

So if you go by the wiki, the presence of parking spaces doesn't not
> automatically make it a parking aisle.

I'd say yes it does.

But I certainly wouldn't split ways, and I'm fairly happy with the
> tagging/presentation.

Yep.

You could probably also mount an argument to map
> the circumference as highway=service without service=parking_aisle

Appear to be parking bays directly off it so i'd call that parking

These ones are all highway=service + service=parking_aisle. But I'm
> happy again with the tagging/presentation.

You "could" split them into a driveway in / out, with the rest as parking,
but not much point

Here's one where most of the internal ways are parking aisle, but one
> small section is not. This seems pointless to me.

Yes, pretty pointless but if you wanted to be pedantic, it's probably
right. If you really wanted to, you could also make a short section of
driveway up to the separate section of parking at 11 o'clock, & also for
the curve linking that area back to the main park, but definitely no need
to.

And this one definitely should be inverted:

Yep!

So I reckon the moral of this story is that if you think it makes sense to
do it "this" way, then it probably does, & that's probably good enough!

Thanks

Graeme