[talk-au] Tracks flagged as missing from government data

Andrew Harvey andrew at alantgeo.com.au
Wed Aug 18 03:23:54 UTC 2021

Thanks for the feedback,

On Mon, 16 Aug 2021, at 7:03 PM, Little Maps wrote:
> Thanks for a great series of projects Andrew. One query… is there an error in the Victorian all tracks challenge? It includes nearly 250,000 tracks to be reviewed and potentially added to OSM. By contrast, taginfo states that there are “only” 188,000 tracks (highway=track) in OSM across all of Australia at the moment. At the suggested rate of nearly 6 minutes per track, that’ll take more than 6 person-years of mapping, if one were to map non-stop for 10 hours every day and 7 days every week. It certainly makes the ACT challenge look attractive - they have less than 100 to do. Cheers Ian

The VIC (Priority) https://maproulette.org/browse/challenges/20216 challenge is the better place to start for Victoria unless you're really just looking at a small local area you are interested in. It only has 317 tasks compared to 249,850 for the whole VIC. It focuses on strategically important fire trails which are missing in OSM.

I realised I need to re-upload the VIC tasks because it doesn't auto-load them into JOSM.

On Tue, 17 Aug 2021, at 10:33 AM, Adam Horan wrote:
> I've done some spot checks on the VIC priority, and I see they're also included in the Track VIC challenge. Although the 316 in VIC Priority will be a small dent in the 249850 in Tracks VIC.

I can try to remove these, alternatively if the VIC priority ones get done, then I can just re-run the rest of VIC which will pick up most of the changes automatically.

> Many of the ones in Tracks VIC seem to be driveways (certainly in the Melbourne periphery that I scanned through), is this expected?

These tracks were done by filtering down Vicmap Transport, specificly class 6 and 7 which are defined as:

* 6 Track 2-Wheel Drive Unimproved roads which are generally only passable in two wheel drive vehicles during fair weather and are used predominately by local traffic. Also included are driveways regardless of construction.

* 7 Track 4-Wheel Drive Unimproved roads which are generally only passable with four wheel drive vehicles.

I missed the last part where it mentions driveways are included, I'll take another look to see what can be improved to filter these out.