[talk-au] Military range area error - Cultana

Bob Cameron bob3bob3 at skymesh.com.au
Sun Feb 7 09:32:40 UTC 2021

Hi Graeme

Okay its coming back to me now.... (15 years ago - RF coverage and land
cover type shp's)

Noted that the data set is Creative Commons Attribution. That also
includes shp, geojson and like downloads. I would assume that the CTA
data would be within the 98MByte odd "Generalised Land Use 2019"
download. After some zooming and clicking on the web page though it
seems the original and CEA are already covered as a few
"PUB_INSTITUTION" shapes east and west of the Iron Knob - Whyalla road
and the CTA is actually a subset of the eastern section. The complete
shape roughly fits a "future planning" graphic that I saw.

Do you agree? Is it good enough to use for OSM? I note that the area
around the Woomera range is not PUB_INSTITUTION though.

Assuming this shape download is valid, is uploading (the same)
shp/geojson to OSM a common thing? I note that the wiki has dire
warnings about it. I also see that the ID editor I use doesn't support
this and JOSM etc should be used. It might be smart if someone more
experienced than I did this!

Tnx for the resource pointer!

Cheers Bob