[talk-au] Many Sydney residential roads have incorrect surface of paved

Andrew Harvey andrew.harvey4 at gmail.com
Wed Jan 6 19:48:21 UTC 2021

Yes exactly as Mateusz said, asphalt is a subtype of paved, if the surface
is asphalt and there is no surface tag yet, then it's correct to map it as
surface=paved (if you know it's paved but can't tell specifically which
type of paved surface it is), then someone else can come along and improve
it to surface=asphalt/concrete etc. It would be wrong to change
surface=asphalt back to surface=paved unless it was surveyed and there is a
question about exactly which type of paved surface it is.

The StreetComplete surveyor app will ask you to survey surface=paved into a
more specific surface type.

You should absolutely not go ahead and do a mass/automated revert without
discussion though, for exactly the same reasons why a large mass/automated
edit should be discussed initially too (much more can go wrong on a larger
scale if you make a mistake, and maybe it was discussed but you're just not
aware of where the discussion was. So if you have concerns then please
raise them here.

You're probably talking about the Microsoft Open Maps team edits which
added a bulk of the surface=paved tags (though certainly not all), I
understand these edits were made manually but with using AI as an indicator
to flag potential surface tag additions.

Lastly you can't use Google Street View as a source for mapping as
explained why at
https://help.openstreetmap.org/questions/710/can-i-use-google-streetview-to-help-create-maps