[talk-au] Many Sydney residential roads have incorrect surface of paved

Warin 61sundowner at gmail.com
Wed Jan 6 22:41:13 UTC 2021

On 7/1/21 9:30 am, Kim Oldfield wrote:
> OSM compatible alternatives to Google Street View include Mapillary
> <https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Mapillary> and
> KartaView/OpenStreetView/OpenStreetCam
> <https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/KartaView>.
>
> On 7/1/21 3:34 am, Mat Attlee wrote:
>> I've been reviewing the maps in Sydney and have noticed that quite a
>> few roads have a surface of paved yet are actually asphalt when
>> compared against Google Street View

As Kim implies, Google street view (or other Google products) cannot be
used in OSM.

Removing 'paved' and not replacing it decreases the data, so that is not
a good idea.

If you want to add more detail then replace paved with the more precise
value. The DCS NSW Imagery has the best resolution that may help
determine which kind of paving has been used, of course a personal
survey is best.