[talk-au] Fwd: OSM Search results return strange stuff for Victoria.

cleary osm at 97k.com
Tue Jan 19 23:16:38 UTC 2021

I was told that the correct tag for places such as towns or suburbs is postal_code=* whereas the addr:postcode tag is for individual locations.

However, even with that tag on the suburb boundary, Nominatim is getting it wrong, particularly for streets close to suburb boundaries.  I found multiple examples in Sydney suburbs without much effort. In each case the suburb boundary included the correct postal_code=* tag.  In one instance the postcode shown by Nominatim is the special postcode for PO Boxes in an adjacent suburb, not even the usual postcode for street addresses. I can only presume a business in the area is tagged in OSM with its postal address, a PO Box in the adjacent suburb, and that has been taken by Nominatim as the postcode for this area.

Perhaps we need to tag individual streets with postcodes, especially streets near suburb boundaries.

One final thought ... perhaps Nominatim reads only addr:postcode=* tags and does not understand postal_code=*   If so, that might explain the anomalies.