[talk-au] Traditional place names

Warin 61sundowner at gmail.com
Tue Jul 6 08:15:42 UTC 2021

On 6/7/21 9:05 am, Graeme Fitzpatrick wrote:

> On Mon, 5 Jul 2021 at 17:51, Warin <61sundowner at gmail.com
>

>     Umm there are 'disputes' over some areas where 2 (or more) groups
>     claim it.
>

> Map the adjoining areas as "This Mob" & "That Mob", with the disputed
> bit in the middle as "This / That Mob"?

There is an OSM method for disputed international borders... no I don't
know what it is, but could be used?

>     Then there is a non copyright source for the information?
>

> Article says that they want to put together a database of all names /
> areas, so hopefully?

Who is 'they'? If government then CC so OSM will need a waiver...

Fingers crossed.

(I expect, after release, there will be some disputes over areas at least.)

> I'm sure it won't be available sometime in the next month!, but
> further down the track, who knows?
>
>     there is enough to do
>

> True that! :-)

If it can be automated then it is not much work. If it is hand work ..
errr.