[talk-au] Funding for OpenStreetMap initiatives

Edoardo Neerhut eneerhut at gmail.com
Tue Jul 13 04:35:32 UTC 2021

Hi all,

Thrilled at the enthusiastic response to this and the range of suggestions.
A bit of homework for us at the OSM Special Interest Group (OSM SIG) is to
get a proper application form together shaped by your suggestions.
I'll discuss this with OSGeo Oceania's SIG which all are welcome to join.
Andrew Harvey is currently co-chair, but we're looking for another co-chair
for him.

To address some of the points raised:

   - @Violaine <violaine at posteo.net> excellent idea. Definitely in scope.
   - @forster at ozonline.com.au <forster at ozonline.com.au> I love the idea of
   the signs giving the story behind the tree planting more permanence. If
   Parks Vic approves, I would imagine the OSM SIG would approve such use of
   funds. Let us know if something concrete comes up around
   venue hire/internet. This is also within scope and we could discuss ASAP to
   get you what you need.
   - @Mateusz Good question and one we have not discussed in detail. My own
   opinion is that there should be some Oceania connection, as that is the
   mandate of our organisation. This could be a tool developed directly in
   Oceania that has global reach, or a tool developed globally that has clear
   benefit to end users in Oceania.
   - @brenbarnes at gmail.com <brenbarnes at gmail.com> every one of these is
   worthy. For many of these we need someone to volunteer to maintain the
   program. A camera grant program for Oceania would be wonderful, but we need
   some volunteers to help put it together. Here is an example from the UK
   <https://osmuk.org/community-projects/camera-rental/>. Warin raises a
   good point though. I actually ran a camera grant program for a day job
   (Mapillary) and the lesson learned over time is that to be successful the
   cameras really need to be a permanent grant rather than a loan. It becomes
   too expensive and time consuming to ship cameras across the world, or even
   Oceania. The dynamics could be different for a rental program, but then
   someone needs to be willing to manage it.
   - I like the UK's high-vis vests
   <https://osmuk.org/community-projects/surveyor-hi-vis-jackets/> idea, but
   I don't think I'd wear one myself. The iD of some sort along with flyers is
   a good idea though. If OSGeo Oceania was willing to place an initial order
   of 50 or so, do you think you'd be able to help design them @graeme?

I'm very keen to see how many of these brilliant ideas can be turned into
concrete actions. To be perfectly honest, the main barrier here is having
someone willing to put in the time to drive each initiative. Money is less
of a concern and the whole point of OSGeo Oceania and our OSM group is to
support initiatives like this.

The OSM SIG will follow up with a concrete platform to submit ideas, but
feel free to keep them coming here in the meantime.

Happy mapping,

Ed