[talk-au] Celebrating 17 years of OSM

Edoardo Neerhut eneerhut at gmail.com
Tue Jul 20 16:29:01 UTC 2021

Hi everyone,

OSM US has proposed an international mapathon across 17 time zones to
celebrate 17 years of OSM. Given that we come from the future, Oceania was
proposed as the time zone that would kick the event off at 00:00 GMT.

I don't think a date has been decided yet, but Maggie Cawley from OSM US is
trying to gauge interest. I'm certainly interested. How do others here feel?

Not sure what the tasks would be yet, but that's something we could discuss.
Of course it should be noted that Oceania would be listed here, not just
Aus/NZ.

Copying her text below.

Thanks,

Ed

---

Hello fellow mappers and community leaders!

OpenStreetMap is turning 17 soon and I thought it would be fun if we put
together a 17 hour ‘round the world mapping party, starting in Oceania and
ending in the US. I am hoping to find 17 countries or hosts to each take 1
hour during the day. If more hosts are interested, we can combine
continents or make hosting slots 30 minutes. The more the mappier!

I have put together a table starting with countries represented in the
LCCWG, and then added a few countries others that might be interested in
participating - but again, we can add more! Times are a starting point and
we can change things up depending on who is interested.

We could use a Big Blue Button link for the day and take turns hosting -to
map a certain feature around the world, or create a few different tasks.
OSM US is happy to make some social media materials for the day and help
set up mapping tasks as well. What would be needed from a host is to rally
your communities and host for your portion of the 17 hours :)

*Three questions - please respond ASAP if interested:*

   1. Do you want to participate in the event?
   2. If so, does the time in the table (all GMT) work for your community?
   3. Who will be the community contact person/host for your allotted hour?
   Please

*Draft Table: *

*#*

*TIME SLOT - GMT*

*COUNTRY*

*CONFIRMED*

1

00:00

Australia / New Zealand

2

01:00

PHILIPPINES

Eugene Villar

3

02:00

INDONESIA

4

03:00

INDIA

Naveen Francis

5

04:00

TURKEY

6

05:00

TANZANIA

7

06:00

UGANDA

8

07:00

ZAMBIA

9

08:00

ITALY

Anisa Kuci

10

09:00

BELGIUM

Jonathan B

11

10:00

KOSOVO

12

11:00

Switzerland

13

12:00

GERMANY

14

13:00

UK

Adam Hoyle

15

14:00

PORTUGAL

16

15:00

BRAZIL

17

16:00

USA

Maggie

17:00

END!

Countries/hosts interested but not listed please respond here:

   1.

Thank you so much and have a wonderful day!

Maggie

*Maggie Cawley*

Executive Director

OpenStreetMap US