[talk-au] [EXTERNAL] Re: Low quality road classification contributions in SA via Microsoft Open Maps Team - contact point?

Graeme Fitzpatrick graemefitz1 at gmail.com
Thu Jul 22 04:53:43 UTC 2021

On Tue, 13 Jul 2021 at 13:19, Graeme Fitzpatrick <graemefitz1 at gmail.com>
wrote:

> if it's named on the Govt data, then highway=unclassified + access=public;
> if not named highway=unclassified + access=private.

I'm going to have to re-think this theory!

While it's nowhere near as remote as SA, over this last week we've been out
in SEQ country.

Spotted a few signposted, named roads with gates across them as soon as you
leave the main road.

eg (Easier using G maps than uploading my dash cam footage!)

https://goo.gl/maps/FrFvKNKZViRVR6uq6

https://goo.gl/maps/irEj1y4iywBxXPF79

OSM

https://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=18/-28.19174/152.54437 - Wickman Rd is
actually the unmaintained track, not the short service road

https://www.openstreetmap.org/edit#map=17/-28.17766/152.54006 - shows
Wilkinson Rd but it hasn't yet been mapped at all

Looking at imagery, it would appear that these would both be best mapped as
highway=service + service=driveway + access=private.

Hope that doesn't throw everything into confusion again!

Thanks

Graeme