[talk-au] [EXTERNAL] Re: Low quality road classification contributions in SA via Microsoft Open Maps Team - contact point?

Warin 61sundowner at gmail.com
Fri Jul 23 04:11:30 UTC 2021

On 23/7/21 12:00 pm, cleary wrote:
> In regard to mapping gates, I have tagged barrier=gate.
>
> Where roads have public access on both sides of a gate, I presumed that access through the gate was apparent. In hindsight, perhaps it was remiss of me to presume that the absence of an access tag would be interpreted as access=yes. I don't think I have added access=yes unless I thought there was any doubt. I have added locked=yes where public roads become private but I don't think I have ever added locked=no.
>
> In future, I will add access=* and locked=* to any gates.

I too would assume access=yes and locked=no on gates without added tags.
Though, being lazy or probably just not thinking about it, I usually tag the roads with access=private and be done rather than add it to the gate as well.
I don't know if renders would pay any attention to these tags either? The road access tag is displayed on some renders.