[talk-au] Roads in Industrial Estates: Residential, Unclassified or Service?

Mateusz Konieczny matkoniecz at tutanota.com
Wed Jul 28 06:50:05 UTC 2021

Jul 28, 2021, 07:23 by ahoran at gmail.com:

> Industrial on one side, residential on the other?
> Personally I don't mind leaving this as residential as you suggest, so just mark it as not an issue.

Often residential will be valid there, so I would skip it.

> If you get blocked on the standard one then you can change the overpass api server that you're working with. In overpass-turbo setting you can switch to > https://overpass.kumi.systems/api>  which is a different instance hosted by some people who don't have a limit > https://overpass.kumi.systems/
> In my tests the data is recent.

Note that it has repeated problems with corrupted data (both queries simply failing
- especially for attic data) and with queries returning outdated/corrupted data silently.

> Speaking as a programmer, I'm not sure that I've ever encountered a language as poorly explained and documented as overpass QL.

I just always start from existing examples.

https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Overpass_API/Overpass_API_by_Example
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Overpass_API/Advanced_examples

I almost never write such code, I rather find the closest example and modify it.
In my experience that almost always works well.

I started also writing introduction at
https://mapsaregreat.com/geographic-data-mining-and-visualisation-for-beginners/overpass-turbo-tutorial.html
(right now and for long time it is just starter, but maybe may be useful and maybe one
day I will continue writing it)