[talk-au] Question about importing Victoria street addresses

Joseph Guillaume josephguillaume at gmail.com
Fri May 14 23:02:44 UTC 2021

Hi Yuchen,

I'd be happy to help with the manual checking using JOSM if you/someone
else does the approval.

In terms of data preparation, it looks like the data is already on
https://batch.openaddresses.io/job/91961 and the process for conversion
with oa2osm isn't too difficult (
https://github.com/andrewharvey/au-actmapi-osm-import/blob/master/Makefile)
though the code needs to be updated to only include housenumber and
address, not city.

My main concern would be to decide where addresses will be added. My
preference is to place on buildings (
https://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/talk-au/2021-April/014554.html),
but there aren't many buildings in OSM yet, and I'm not keen on importing
geometries even if they are available (e.g.
https://batch.openaddresses.io/job/100514). We could focus on the few areas
that have buildings and no addresses. Alternatively I'd be keen for the
address placement strategy to be discussed on this list rather than simply
using the coordinates in the import directly.

Cheers

Joseph