[talk-au] Wide-ranging changeset that merges tags from addresses, shops and buildings

Stéphane Guillou stephane.guillou at member.fsf.org
Fri May 14 23:54:40 UTC 2021

Thanks Warin and Graeme. I had also sent a private message, and no
response either.

I went ahead and did my first revert with the JOSM plugin, which is some
fun mental gymnastics... Only 7 conflicts, thankfully. Revert changeset
is this one: https://www.openstreetmap.org/changeset/104711700

So out of the 7 changesets, 2 have been reverted:

  * Geraldton landuse <https://www.openstreetmap.org/changeset/103072911>
  * Land usage <https://www.openstreetmap.org/changeset/103073501>
  * Fixes around Corsico <https://www.openstreetmap.org/changeset/103074145>
  * المحطة البخارية للكهرباء
    <https://www.openstreetmap.org/changeset/103074175>
      o reverted by Warin61
        <https://www.openstreetmap.org/changeset/103074175>
  * agro industrial plants; house numbers merged
    <https://www.openstreetmap.org/changeset/103074912>
      o reverted by stragu
        <https://www.openstreetmap.org/changeset/104711700>
  * Venezuela cleanup and additions
    <https://www.openstreetmap.org/changeset/103076310>
  * try to fix this area <https://www.openstreetmap.org/changeset/103076460>

I don't have time to review (and revert if need be) the other ones this
weekend, unfortunately, but might have a look next week.

Cheers

On 14/5/21 8:00 pm, Warin wrote:
> Well no response 9 days later.
> Wait another ~5 days, to make it a fortnight .... if nothing then
> revert all of them?
>
> On 5/5/21 12:15 pm, Andrew Harvey wrote:
>> I agree with the concerns you raised in the changeset comment, and
>> that the changesets are well-meaning, so let's see if and how they
>> respond first. There are only a handful of changesets all from 18
>> days ago at this point.
>>
>> On Wed, 5 May 2021 at 11:12, Stéphane Guillou
>> <stephane.guillou at member.fsf.org
>> <mailto:stephane.guillou at member.fsf.org>> wrote:
>>
>>     Hi all
>>
>>     I am /respectfully /writing to hear what you think about this
>>     changeset from a seemingly new contributor. I definitely don't
>>     want to publicly shame someone's well-meaning contribution, but
>>     after commenting on the changeset, I want to:
>>
>>       * Inform others that the area they contribute to might have
>>         been affected too
>>       * Know what other contributors think about the nature of the
>>         changes, given that I have very little experience with fixing
>>         / reverting changes that affect such large areas.
>>
>>     You will notice from the changeset history of the contibutor
>>     <https://www.openstreetmap.org/user/Australets/history> that all
>>     their changesets were submitted on one single day, the day they
>>     created their OSM account, and that they affect very distant
>>     areas around the world (which makes me think there isn't much
>>     local knowledge involved).
>>
>>     The changeset that affects the area I am familiar with is
>>     changeset 103074912
>>     <https://www.openstreetmap.org/changeset/103074912>. But if you
>>     live around Geraldton (WA), you might also be interested in this
>>     one: 103072911 <https://www.openstreetmap.org/changeset/103072911>.
>>
>>     Here is the message I wrote after I noticed the changes in my
>>     area, so you have a better idea of my concerns, but given the
>>     size of the changeset, I haven't been able to give it a thorough
>>     review.
>>
>>     ---
>>
>>     Hi Australets! I was wondering about the motivation between this
>>     changeset, as it changed quite a few things in the area where I
>>     contribute.
>>     What is the idea behind merging addresses, buildings and points
>>     of interest? I know there are different opinions on the matter,
>>     but I can see definite drawbacks in the merging you did, at least
>>     in some cases. For example, some of the resulting buildings end
>>     up having a "source" tag that used to refer to only the address,
>>     but now seems to refer to the whole object.
>>     See for example this one:
>>     https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/401769723/history
>>     In other cases, the main building is apartments but now has the
>>     name of one single shop included in it:
>>     https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/444096785/history
>>     In many cases, one single key could have a different values for a
>>     building and a point of interest, even though the general rule
> [...]

Stéphane Guillou
http://stragu.gitlab.io/

You can encrypt our communications by using OpenPGP. My public key 4E211060 is available on the keys.gnupg.net server.

Other ways to interact with me are listed on my contact page: http://stragu.gitlab.io/contact/