[talk-au] Tagging hiking path difficulty - Australian Walking Track Grading System (AWTGS)

Phil Wyatt phil at wyatt-family.com
Fri Sep 17 07:51:39 UTC 2021

Hi Folks.

Also be aware that there are also websites using their own ‘grading systems’ based on a combination of other systems (AWTGS and/or Australian Standards combinations or straight out their own gradings) so please ensure that they actually explicitly state that it’s the Australian Walking Track Grading system that they are using exclusively before tagging it as such.

https://www.nationalparks.nsw.gov.au/safety/bushwalking-safety/australian-walking-track-grading-system

https://www.ffm.vic.gov.au/recreational-activities/walking-and-camping/australian-walking-track-grading-system

All the systems are often misinterpreted by folks not in the land management field so please be careful. Officially signed classifications from the land management agency would be the only ones I would trust that have been applied correctly.

Like Andrew, I am not a fan of these classifications but tourism associations, promoters, some commercial guiding establishments and some walking clubs love them as a way to ‘guide people’ about the ‘general difficulty’ of the track.

Cheers - Phil