[talk-au] Suspicious amount of removed bicycle tags

osm.talk-au at thorsten.engler.id.au osm.talk-au at thorsten.engler.id.au
Sun Sep 19 05:24:34 UTC 2021

In regards to your changeset comment: "I doubt that means that all paths are footpaths unless otherwise signed."

Generally speaking, yes, they are. In the absence of one of these signs:

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/471231032645910529/889007668096819260/unknown.png

Everything that sort of looks like a footpath has to be assumed to be a footpath.

After having a quick look, I think most of what got really is a footpath. But there are probably some errors.

e.g. this here: https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/850699423/history

https://www.mapillary.com/app/?lat=-37.994347&lng=145.275723&z=19.334804029853068&pKey=973985916705405&focus=photo&x=0.4859326202768015&y=0.5905877763133818&zoom=0

should really be tagged as :

highway=cycleway
foot=designated
bicycle=designated
segregated=yes

The fact that the footpath is mapped separately, but the cycleway is tagged as cycleway:left=track on the road complicates things unnecessary. It would be better to either tag both separately (as above) or tag both on the road.

and further up the road, here:

https://www.mapillary.com/app/?lat=-37.991993667&lng=145.27608583300002&z=17&pKey=168126275188591&focus=photo&x=0.4901788209737611&y=0.36933104386182475&zoom=0

should be split into separate:

highway=footway
and
highway=cycleway

It's a bit annoying that the council did a really bad job with signing here, because this sign:

https://www.mapillary.com/app/?lat=-37.990109333&lng=145.276258&z=17&pKey=1126201011221699&focus=photo&x=0.4920214322722534&y=0.4508931174020654&zoom=0

Should also have been at the point where the footpath and cycleway split.