[talk-au] Suspicious amount of removed bicycle tags

forster at ozonline.com.au forster at ozonline.com.au
Sun Sep 19 11:39:32 UTC 2021

> In regards to your changeset comment: "I doubt that means that all
> paths are footpaths unless otherwise signed."
> Generally speaking, yes, they are. In the absence of one of these signs

Hi all
http://classic.austlii.edu.au/au/legis/vic/consol_reg/rsrr2017208/s250.html
ROAD SAFETY ROAD RULES 2017 - REG 250
says "Footpath is defined in the dictionary" but it doesn't say which
dictionary.

Apparently the word "footpath" is used differently in different
countries. In Australia it means a US "sidewalk".
"A sidewalk (North American English), pavement (British English),
footpath (Oceanian English), or footway, is a path along the side of a
road."
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sidewalk

This is what my understanding of the footpath rule is in Victoria
Australia, don't ride on the path that runs between the property line
and the kerb.

That's not we are talking about here
ways 157071087 and 304507133 intersection
https://www.mapillary.com/app/?lat=-37.923613888889015&lng=145.32910000000004&z=17&pKey=941113219764485&focus=photo

So I disagree with the suggestion that all paths are, for legal
purposes, footpaths unless otherwise signed.

Tony