[OSM-talk-be] atlas der buurtwegen/des chemins vicinaux - legal aspects

Ben Laenen benlaenen at gmail.com
Tue Aug 26 13:22:38 UTC 2008

On Tuesday 26 August 2008, Mark Van den Borre wrote:
> Hi,
>
> As mentioned before, I have been doing some research on the legal
> possibilities to reuse old Atlas der Buurtwegen/des Chemins vicinaux
> maps as an additional source for openstreetmap.
>
> After consulting with CIR (centrum voor intellectuele rechten,
> Katholieke Universiteit Leuven), the first results are in.
>
> Bad news first. Apparently, even for out-of-copyright information
> like the 1840's maps, we need a license because we are reusing
> government information. See
> http://vereenvoudiging.be/showpage.php?iPageID=721&sLangCode=NL .
>
> The good news. We are most likely to get this use granted, but we do
> have to send in a request before we can do so.

It doesn't seem to say anything about getting it for free though, and
since OSM allows commercial re-use, that may be an issue. It's
certainly an issue to get NGI data.

Perhaps we need to convince our minister of administrative
simplification Van Quickenborne that the government has to make
everything available in public domain like in the US :-)

Anyway, thanks for doing some research. Will you contact the necessary
people yourself to get permission in the end?

Greetings
Ben